Technology has evolved dramatically in the last century. While the 1950s may have been a great era for architecture, it is the technology of today that will provide the biggest benefits to your overall home energy costs.
The cost of heating and cooling your home is significant. You can harness the greatest savings through energy efficient practices, keeping your space warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter when you are sleeping or away from home and then resetting the temperature to a comfortable level when you return. In short: replace thermostat.
Programmable thermostats make this simple, allowing you to adjust the times and settings to create a heating and cooling schedule that matches your lifestyle. Without sacrificing comfort, you can harness big savings through efficiency.
Programmable Thermostat Benefits:
- Save Money and Resources: By heating and cooling only when you need to, you save energy and money. Additionally, programmable thermostats are more environmentally friendly and do not use mercury like traditional thermostats.
- Reduced Complexity: Most people love the idea of efficient energy use, but forget to set their thermostats accordingly. Programmable thermostats allow you to set the temperature schedule once and then enjoy the residual savings.
- Increased Comfort: With the temperature pre-set, you can enjoy waking up to a warm home on a winter morning or entering a cold home after a long day of work in the summer. The temperature meets your needs in a timely way without producing wasteful energy expenditure.
Here are some general thermostat tips from your trusted Twin Cities HVAC company:
- Be sure to install your thermostat away from heating or cooling vents, heat-generating appliances, open doorways, or direct sunlight so it can accurately determine the temperature in your home.
- Program your thermostat to maintain a constant temperature for long periods of time, 8 hours of a certain temperature while you are sleeping and an equivalent amount of time when you are at work.
- If you will be gone on vacation or for an extended amount of time, make sure to set the hold button at a constant temperature.
- Refuse to override your settings. These changes reduce efficiency and ultimately cost you more money.
- If you have a larger home with zoned heating and cooling, install a programmable thermostat in each zone so you can reduce energy usage in parts of that house that are not being used.
- If you have a battery run thermostat, be sure to replace them at least once every year.
The Twin Cities plumber professionals at MSP Plumbing, Heating & Air can help you harness the energy efficient savings of a programmable thermostat. Give us a call today for an evaluation by a local Minneapolis/Saint Paul plumber: (651) 228-9200.