TANK WATER HEATER REPAIR IN MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, MN
A Century of Trust Behind Every Tank Water Heater Repair
When Twin City homeowners are left without hot water, they turn to MSP for help. That was true over 100 years ago, and it stands true today, as we work hard to repair and maintain thousands of tank water heater systems in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
- Upfront, fixed-price quotes
- Repairs on all makes and models
- Convenient same-day service
On this page
Committed to your comfort for every tank water heater repair
Fed up with lukewarm water or no hot water at all? Pick up the phone and call the plumbing experts at MSP! We’ve been Minneapolis-St. Paul’s go-to plumbers for nearly a century, and can diagnose and resolve just about any tank water heater issue in a single visit. We’ll even give you multiple repair options to choose from, so you always have a say in the total cost of your repair.
How much does a tank water heater repair cost in Minneapolis-St. Paul?
- Low $150
- Our Average $575
- High $1,000+
What factors does MSP consider when determining price?
- Age of your water heater: Older water heaters (10+ years old) can be more expensive to repair because they're no longer covered by the warranty and are more likely to need more extensive repairs compared to younger water heaters.
- Replacement parts: Some water heater parts are more expensive to repair or replace than others. A broken pilot light for example may not cost much more than the diagnostic price. A cracked tank on the other hand may require extensive repairs or even a full replacement.
- Type of water heater: Tank water heaters come in a variety of fuel types and models. Even certain brands may be more expensive to repair than others due to the cost of certain manufacturer parts. The good news is MSP plumbers are familiar with a huge range of water heater systems, meaning we can complete your repair faster and share a variety of repair options with you based on the needs of your budget.
- The plumber you hire: The more experienced the plumber, the more they'll likely charge to repair your water heater. But an experienced plumber will do the repair correctly the first time, which will save you money in the long run.
How to understand the wide price range
The range of prices above is an estimate for most repairs, and your repair may fall outside this range. For a precise quote, an in-home diagnostic is a must. At MSP, we perform repair diagnostics for just $88, or FREE for Total Comfort Club members.Schedule repair
Repair or Replace
Not sure whether to repair or replace your water heater?
It’s a fair question. On the one hand, you don’t want to face the upfront cost of a full replacement. On the other hand, you don’t want to pour money into a dying water heater. To help you make the right decision, we’ve provided some tips below.
In general, you should consider replacing your tank water heater (vs. repairing it) if:
- Your water heater is more than 10 years old (or less depending on if the system has been properly maintained)
- Your utility bills are increasing year after year
- Your tank is leaking, or you see water corrosion around the tank
- Your water shows discoloration (it’s cloudy or rust-colored)
Compare repair vs. replace pricing
|Repair||$150 to $1,000+|
|Replace||Starts at $1,600|
Our 5-star tank water heater repair process
We confirm your appointment request
Contact us online or call us at (651) 228-9200 and you’ll be put in touch with one of our friendly service experts. We’ll gather some information about your water heater issue and have a plumber out to your home at your earliest convenience.
We send a plumber to your home
Your plumber will arrive on schedule, introduce themselves and gather some additional information if necessary before performing a thorough diagnostic of the water heater. We repair all brands and models of tank water heaters, so no matter what you have in your home, our experts are familiar with it.
We give you upfront pricing
Our plumber will take the time to find the problem and explain it to you. After discussing the issue with you, our plumber will give you honest, upfront pricing to fix the problem so you won't be surprised when you get the bill.
We resolve your tank water heater issue
Once you've agreed to a repair option, we'll get right to work! Repairs are completed quickly and efficiently, and we never leave a customer's home without testing our repairs first. In addition, your plumber will always leave your home as clean or cleaner than how they found it.
Very professional, and I will use them every time...
“Timely and efficient. Last year I had an emergency and contacted another plumber. That plumber came out and quoted me $300 to tell me what the problem was. I then called MSP for a second opinion. They came out, looked at the problem, told me the water heater was already on (I’m a new homeowner and was anxious), and did not charge me a cent. Today, the plumber came out, diagnosed the problem, and sat down with my wife and me to share 8 different options. He then left the room so we could discuss it. Wow!! What a difference, and he fixed it in a timely matter. Very professional, and I will use them every time.”—Jason J. | Minneapolis-St. Paul
Want to see more excellent 5-star reviews?
Committed to Our Community
MSP Plumbing Heating Air serves the entire Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area and beyond, including Dakota County, Ramsey County, Hennepin County, Washington County, Anoka County, Scott County, and Carver County. This includes the cities of:
- Arden Hills
- Eden Prairie
- Inver Grove Heights
- Lino Lakes
- Little Canada
- St. Paul
- ...And more!
Book Your Tank Water Heater Repair Diagnostic Today
We've delivered unmatched customer service to the Twin Cities for over 100 years. You're in good hands with MSP!